We’ve provided answers to some common ones.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is coaching?
"I think coaching is great. I coach my team all the time!” This is a common statement made about coaching, however, there is a big difference from team coaching/mentoring and personal coaching from a trained and certified executive/personal coach.
The term "Coach" is misused in the individual coaching world because most people identify with the sports coach persona being equitable to individual professional coaching. For simplicity, we'll categorize feedback/input into three buckets: Managing, Mentoring, or Coaching.
Managing occurs mostly in the workplace as well as in the home. Managing is centered around giving instruction, sharing processes, and giving feedback based on how well someone does against those instructions or processes. This is what most commonly is called coaching by leaders. It's managing, not coaching, because it's direction given based on the way the leader wants things done. Managing gives the answers to the receiver.
Mentoring occurs mostly in the workplace as well as with friends or peers. Mentoring is sharing advice based on one's experience and perspective to help another person with a similar challenge. Mentoring offers answers to the receiver.
Coaching occurs anywhere, but only by a trained and certified coach. Coaches are trained to ask specific questions that help the recipient identify roadblocks and uncover the best answers for themselves. Professional coaches never give answers, they unlock the ability to find answers.
What 6th Power™ coaching is:
A specific program of scientifically based processes by a trained ICF and/or IICM certified coach. In every full session the process is as follows:
- Identify a real issue or goal to work on during the session
- Go through one of the 80 proven CLI PCMK™ proven methodologies appropriately chosen for your needs in each session
- Identify negative patterns and roadblocks keeping you from achieving your goal
- Create a new belief system and embed into your subconscious for permanent change
- Create SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-bound) goals against your plan to achieve maximum potential
- When appropriate, after the session receive mentoring advice
- Everything discussed is 100% confidential and will remain confidential in perpetuity (see confidentiality agreement here). If your coaching is sanctioned by your organization and all parties agree upfront what information is to be disclosed back to the organization, you will have final say of that agreement upfront or else 6th Power™ will not contract with you and/or your organization.
What 6th Power™ coaching isn’t:
- Just a motivational pep talk with some feedback based on what you share or what is indicated in your personality assessments
- Professional Therapy. We are not doctors and this is not therapy (although many clients feel a therapeutic release after each session). Therapy vs coaching: Therapy is akin to an archaeologist digging into past events to understand past trauma and root cause. Coaching touches on the past for understanding of habitual patterns, but the primary focus is centered on overcoming roadblocks to create new beliefs and establish goals for future success.
- This is not a performance or development plan review. As noted in the confidentiality agreement, you will have final say regarding what information is shared with your organization.
Why do I need a coach?
According to Harvard Business Review, 2 out of 5 new CEO's fail in their first 18 months. The primary reasons for their failure are not competence, knowledge, or experience, but instead center specifically on ego and a leadership style that is out of touch with modern times. Furthermore, 82% of newly appointed leaders, at any level, derail because they fail to build partnerships with subordinates and peers. Sydney Finkelstein, author of Why Smart Executives Fail, concluded that CEO's had similar deadly habits of which most were related to unchecked egos and lack of emotional intelligence, EQ.
Executives, and broadly leaders at any level, are reluctant to take feedback unless it comes from a non-judgmental third party such as a professional personal coach. Yet the list of needs for leaders is long and when a CEO contracts with a professional coach, 78.7% of the time it's the CEO's idea. This statistic comes from a 2013 Stanford University/Miles Group survey of 200 CEOs, board directors, and senior executives. The survey also identifies the top 12 issues CEO's seek in coaching. The top 5 biggest development areas CEO's cite for coaching support are:
- Conflict management skills
- Sharing leadership/delegation skills
- Listening skills
- Communication skills
- Mentoring/Developing internal talent skills
Executive Chairman of Alphabet Inc. (Google) Eric Schmidt said that his best advice to new CEOs was "have a coach". Schmidt goes on to say "once I realized I could trust my coach and that he could help me with perspective, I decided this was a great idea...".
The real question isn't "Why do I need a coach", it's "Why don't I already have one?". Contact us to get started today at email@example.com or call us at 407-608-0374.
Can I be coached remotely?
Yes! We coach people from all around the world and almost all of our coaching sessions are done over the phone, even if we live in the same neighborhood! Why coach remotely or over the phone?
Although it may seem more “personal” to conduct coaching face-to-face, our goal is to ensure you have a 100% distraction free environment. Often when a client is face-to-face they get distracted by what the coach is writing or doing vs allowing his/her mind to be fully open and engaged in the process. It’s actually part of the coaching contract that for all coaching sessions the client must be in a quiet, distraction free environment so complete attention can be dedicated to the 1 hour 15 minute session.
We do absolutely invite a face-to-face meeting or Skype/Facetime session on the first set-up consultation and then offer either face-to-face or audio (phone) coaching for the remaining coaching package. For international sessions we advise Skype audio as the best option to avoid dial-in phone expenses. In the US we provide a secure conference call line, Skype audio, or basic phone call options. It is the client's choice for all sessions to decided which mode of communication works best for him/her.
What is the cost and what comes with a coaching package?
Multiple options are available to engage coaching support. All options provide the following:
- One comprehensive POWER6™ Coaching Kit
- One-on-one coaching sessions (1 hour & 15 minutes each)
- “Quick-hit” mentoring sessions (30-minute check-in/pep talk)
Option #1: Full Executive Coaching Package- $3,000 USD
- (10) one-on-one coaching sessions
- (4) Quick-hit mentoring sessions
Option #2: Lean Into You Kickstarter Package- $279 USD
- (2) one-on-one coaching sessions
- (1) Quick-hit mentoring session
Option #3: College Student Career Readiness Package- $799 USD
- (3) one-on-one coaching sessions
- (2) Quick-hit mentoring sessions
- Resume/Linked In optimization plus interview "hip-pocket" stories based on individual strengths from assessment
- (1) Executive Mentor connection
Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or 407-608-0374 for more details on each package offering.
Is there a free consultation?
Yes, actually all clients are required to conduct an initial free consultation before starting a package.
Why, what if I’m ready today?
This program is all about YOU. 6th PowerTM wants to ensure you not only feel comfortable with your coach, the coaching process, but also to ensure that we align on what you're hoping to achieve through coaching. You will complete an ROI at the end of your coaching package and we want it to be off the charts successful for you! The initial consultation usually lasts from 30 minutes to an hour.
What languages are available for the coaching services and materials?
Currently English only. If you have needs beyond English please contact us to determine if we are able to accommodate your request utilizing our extensive global network.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is a motivational speaking engagement?
Onsite "Lunch and Learn's" or speaking segments as part of a larger conference will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis depending on location, audience size, and speaking requirements.
For existing clients engaging in multiple services with 6th PowerTM such as coaching and workshops, the fees will be discussed as part of a comprehensive package.
Additionally, all travel (air, car, lodging) expenses for speaking or workshops will be covered by the client unless otherwise agreed as part of a broader package. 6th PowerTM is located in Orlando, Florida so there are no travel expenses incurred to the client in the Central Florida area.
What materials are provided with the motivational speaking engagements?
Depending on the subject material and length of engagement, materials may range from the minimum of a 6th Power™ spiral journal for notes during the session to take-home templates of the proprietary 6th Power™ and POWER6™ tools for use in the workshop and beyond.
Are speaking engagements available globally?
6th PowerTM gladly travels to global locations around the world if scheduling permits for both parties. Fees for speaking and travel expenses apply accordingly.
What languages are available for speaking?
Currently English only. However if you have a speaking need beyond English feel free to contact us (in English please!) and we can determine if someone in our extensive global network can support your local requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Leader Corps and Lean Into You
Currently our most frequently asked questions about both programs are covered on the webpage here.
If you have further questions feel free to contact us at email@example.com or call 407-608-0374.